Counter.wmail-service.com is a domain associated with various types of malware, including adware, browser hijackers, and spyware. If your computer is infected with malware related to counter.wmail-service.com, you may experience unwanted pop-up ads, browser redirects, slow performance, and other issues.
To remove malware related to counter.wmail-service.com, it is important to take a combination of steps, including uninstalling suspicious programs, removing suspicious browser extensions, resetting web browser settings, using reputable antivirus and anti-malware software, and cleaning up your system using command prompt.
Table of Contents
What is Counter.wmail-service.com Virus?
Counter.wmail-service.com Virus is a malware that infects computers and hijacks web browsers. It is designed to redirect users to the counter.wmail-service.com website and inject unwanted pop-up ads and redirects into their browsing sessions. This Trojan typically enters a computer through malicious email attachments, software downloads, or by exploiting vulnerabilities in web browsers.
Once infected, users may experience symptoms such as frequent browser redirections to counter.wmail-service.com, changes in browser settings, the presence of unfamiliar extensions or plugins, pop-ups and notifications from unknown sources, and slower browser performance with frequent crashes.
How can I determine if I have contracted an infection?
Slow performance: If your computer suddenly runs slower than usual, it could be a sign of malware. Malicious software can consume system resources and slow down your computer’s performance.
Unexpected pop-ups: If you see excessive pop-up ads, especially ones that appear even when you’re not browsing the internet, it could be a sign of adware or malware.
Unusual behavior: If your computer behaves strangely, such as crashing frequently, freezing, or displaying error messages, it could be a sign of malware.
Changes to browser settings: If your web browser’s homepage, search engine, or default settings have been changed without your consent, it could be a sign of a browser hijacker or malware.
Unauthorized access: If you notice unfamiliar user accounts on your computer or unauthorized access to your files, it could be a sign of a security breach or malware infection.
Increased network activity: If you notice a significant increase in network activity, such as data usage or network traffic, it could be a sign that malware is sending or receiving data from your computer.
Disabled security software: If your antivirus or firewall software has been disabled or cannot update, it could be a sign that malware is actively trying to evade detection.
How To Remove Counter.Wmail-Service.com?
1st Method: Use Anti-Malware Software
- Download and install reputable anti-malware software such as Malwarebytes, Avast, Norton, or Kaspersky.
- Update the software to ensure it has the latest virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan to detect and remove any malware or viruses, including the counter.wmail-service.com virus.
- Follow the prompts to quarantine or remove any detected threats.
2nd Method: Remove Suspicious Programs and Browser Extensions
- Open the Control Panel on your computer.
- Go to “Programs” or “Programs and Features” (depending on your operating system).
- Uninstall any unfamiliar or suspicious programs associated with the counter.wmail-service.com virus.
- Open your web browser and go to the settings or extensions menu.
- Disable or remove any suspicious browser extensions or add-ons that may be related to the counter.wmail-service.com virus.
3rd Method: Reset Web Browser Settings Note:
- Open Chrome and click on the three-dot menu in the top-right corner.
- Go to “Settings” and scroll down to the bottom.
- Click on “Advanced” to expand the advanced settings.
- Under the “Reset and clean up” section, click on “Restore settings to their original defaults.”
- Confirm the reset by clicking on “Reset settings.”
- Open Firefox and click on the three-line menu in the top-right corner.
- Go to “Help” and select “Troubleshooting Information.”
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button to reset your browser settings.
- Confirm the reset by clicking on “Refresh Firefox” again.
- Open Edge and click on the three-dot menu in the top-right corner.
- Go to “Settings” and click on “Reset settings” under the “Reset and clean up” section.
- Select the option to “Restore settings to their default values.”
- Click on the “Reset” button to confirm.
- Open Safari and click on “Safari” in the top menu.
- Select “Clear History” and choose the option to clear all history.
- Go back to the “Safari” menu and select “Preferences.”
- Go to the “Extensions” tab and uninstall any suspicious extensions.
- Go to the “General” tab and set your homepage to a trusted website.
4th Method: Use reputable antivirus and anti-malware software
- Download and install reputable antivirus and anti-malware software like Malwarebytes, Norton, or McAfee.
- Run a full system scan to detect and remove any malware or viruses.
- Follow the instructions provided by the software to remove any detected threats.
5th Method: Clean up your system using the command prompt
- Open the command prompt by pressing the Windows key + R and typing “cmd” in the “Run” dialog box.
- Type “netstat -ano” in the command prompt and press Enter to see a list of active network connections.
- Look for suspicious connections with the IP address or domain associated with “counter.wmail-service.com”.
- Type “tasklist” in the command prompt and press Enter to see a list of running processes.
- Look for suspicious or unknown processes and note their PID (process ID).
- Type “taskkill /F /PID [PID]” in the command prompt, replacing [PID] with the PID of the suspicious process, and press Enter to terminate the process.
- Use antivirus or anti-malware software to scan your system and remove any remaining threats.
How to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and HitmanPro to Scan for Rootkits and Other malware?
Here are the steps to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and HitmanPro to scan for rootkits and other malware:
- Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and HitmanPro on your computer.
- Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click the “Scan” button in the main interface.
- Select “Custom Scan” and check the boxes for “Rootkits” and “Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs)”.
- Click the “Scan Now” button to start the scan.
- Wait for the scan to complete. If Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detects any threats, it will display them in the results.
- Click on the “Quarantine Selected” button to remove the detected threats.
- Open HitmanPro and click the “Next” button to start the scan.
- Wait for the scan to complete. If HitmanPro detects any threats, it will display them in the results.
- Click on the “Next” button and then the “Activate free license” button to remove the detected threats.
- Restart your computer to complete the removal process.
How to Prevent Future Malware Infections?
Here are some steps to prevent future malware infections:
Keep your operating system and software up-to-date:
Regularly install updates and security patches for your operating system, web browser, antivirus software, and others. Many malware infections occur due to security vulnerabilities in outdated or unpatched software.
Be cautious when downloading and opening email attachments:
Do not download or open email attachments from unknown or suspicious senders. Scan all attachments with antivirus software before opening them.
Use strong and unique passwords:
Use strong and unique passwords for all your online accounts and change them regularly. Do not use the same password for multiple accounts.
Use reputable antivirus and anti-malware software:
Install and use reputable antivirus and anti-malware software on your computer. Set it to update and scan your system regularly and automatically.
Be cautious when browsing the internet:
Avoid visiting suspicious or untrustworthy websites. Do not click on pop-up ads or links from unknown sources.
Enable firewalls and other security features:
Enable firewalls and other security features on your computer and network to block unauthorized access and malicious traffic.
Backup your important data:
Regularly back up important data to an external hard drive, cloud storage, or other backup solution. This will help you recover your data in case of a malware infection or system failure.
To remove malware related to counter.wmail-service.com, it is crucial to use a combination of methods such as uninstalling suspicious programs, removing suspicious browser extensions, resetting web browser settings, using reputable antivirus and anti-malware software, and cleaning up your system using command prompt. Taking these steps can help eliminate the issues caused by malware and prevent future infections.
I’m a writer, artist, and designer working in the gaming and tech industries. I have held staff and freelance positions at large publications including Digital Trends, Lifehacker, Popular Science Magazine, Electronic Gaming Monthly, IGN, The Xplore Tech, and others, primarily covering gaming criticism, A/V and mobile tech reviews, and data security advocacy.